Environmental Service Worker
High School Diploma or Equivalent Click here for more information
$9.00 - $11.00 per hour
A primary role of Environmental Services Workers (EVS) in hospitals is to ensure that all areas, including examination and surgery rooms, patients' rooms, laboratories, and public areas are kept clean and sanitary. In addition, EVS workers also clean office and administrative areas. The cleaning duties will require a lot of time standing, bending and lifting things, so being physically able to perform these tasks is essential. For worker’s safety, it's important to wear safety gear at times; to know how to operate equipment properly, and to know how to use the proper cleaning supplies to avoid injuries.
- Mopping, vacuuming and sweeping floors; cleaning windows and dusting furniture; washing and changing linens on patient’s beds; and insuring that all waste is disposed of properly.
- Empty trash cans, replace supplies in bathrooms and move items around as needed.
- Perform laundry duties which could include sorting, washing, drying, folding and storing linens, towels and other items.
- Disinfect equipment and supplies, using germicides or steam-operated sterilizers
Skills and Abilities Needed to Perform Job:
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Service Orientation – Ability to provide excellent customer (patient) service (care).
- Oral Comprehension – Ability to listen to and understand information presented through spoken words.
- Trunk Strength – Ability to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without “giving out” or fatiguing.
- Extent Flexibility – Ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with body, arms, and/or legs.
Desired Work Style Attributes:
- Dependability – Reliable and responsible
- Stress Tolerance – Accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively in high stress situations
- Self-Control – Maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check
- Integrity – Honest and ethical
- Cooperation – Pleasant with others
- Attention to details