High School Diploma or Equivalent Click here for more information
Average starting wage: $13.17 per hour
Patient Transporters may also be called Orderlies or Distribution Services Representatives. Their primary job is to transport patients throughout areas of a hospital such as treatment rooms, operating rooms or x-ray rooms using wheelchairs, stretchers or moveable beds. Transporters assist patients in and out of taxis, ambulances, cars and helicopters. Transporters may also transport medical equipment and/or supplies, medical records, packages and other related items to specific designations and maintain stocks of supplies or clean and transport equipment.
- Lift or assist others to lift patients on or off beds, examinations tables, surgical tables, or stretchers to move them to other locations.
- Transport patients to treatment units, testing units, operating rooms or other areas using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds.
- Disinfect or sterilize equipment or supplies using germicides or sterilizing equipment.
- Clean equipment, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, portable medical equipment and document needed repairs or maintenance.
- Respond to emergency situations, such as emergency medicals, security calls, or fire alarms.
- Carry messages or documents between departments.
- Transport portable medical equipment or medical supplies between rooms or departments.
- Collect and transport infectious waste in closed containers for sterilization or disposal, in accordance with applicable law, standards or other policies.
Skills and Abilities Needed to Perform Job:
- Knowledge of use of Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Office and Outlook).
- Knowledge and use of tools and equipment to assist in patient care (wheelchairs, gait belts, canes).
- Knowledge and use of Electronic medical record EMR software.
- Service Orientation – Ability to provide excellent customer (patient) service (care).
- Active Listening – Ability to give full attention to what others are saying and taking time to understand.
- Oral Comprehension – Ability to listen to and understand information presented through spoken words.
- Oral Expression – Ability to communicate information in speaking so that others will understand.
- Trunk Strength – Ability to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without “giving out” or fatiguing.
- Problem Sensitivity – Ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
Desired Work Style Attributes:
- Attention to details
- Integrity – Honest and ethical
- Dependability – Reliable and responsible
- Cooperation – Pleasant with others
- Social Orientation – Preferring to work with others rather than alone
- Stress Tolerance – Accepting criticism and dealing calmly in stressful situations
- Self-Control – Maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check
- Concern for Others – Sensitive to needs of others